WELCOME~

Growing up in a small town, we didn't have housing developments. What we had were streets lined mostly with trees and homes built by individuals. I remember when a small housing development began across town and I couldn't help but think how weird it was that a bunch of mostly identical homes were being built so close to each other... it was stark,ugly, and made me uncomfortable. I remember thinking I'd never live in a housing development..I'd always be in my own unique space. I was very young and I was very wrong. I didn't end up in a sunny cottage on the edge of town or a small farm out in the boonies.. I have landed in a house that's just like every 4th or 5th house in a housing development in small town suburbia. I realized that regardless of where you are..or what cookie cutter home one lives in, there are a buh-zillion and one ways to make it your own. From my own little suburban *cottage* you will find me posting anything from cooking to sewing to flower watching.. people watching, short stories, poetry, rants, raves and anything else you can imagine~ Please stay awhile, explore all little parts of my life. You may find your self, laughing, rolling your eyes, disgusted, inspired, aggravated, happy, ect ect ect..
Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing in my joy~

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Chicken Bucket~


So Wednesdays dinner was Chicken Bucket. It's my version of  the KFC bowls only WAAAAAAY BETTER!! There is absolutely nothing healthy about it.. But it's comfort food and it's re-he-he-he-heally good. Down-home style deliciousness..It's basically your fried chicken/ mashed potato, corn-on-the-cob with a different twist. Here's how it goes~
********************************************************
Ingredients
serves 4
1 pound of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1.5 pounds chicken breast cubed and fried
Mashed potatoes, enough to serve 4
 6 little frozen corn on the cob ( read below for detail)
Biscuits: I used the prepackaged small ones, Pillsbury, i baked 2 cans.
Gravy. However you make yours.
I used a little of the bacon/chicken fat to make a roux and made my own, but you can also buy prepackaged gravy.
Milk, enough to soak the chicken in.
Crumb Mixture to coat the chicken chunks.
***

Start with a package of bacon.. fry it up nice.. and try not to eat it as you remove it from the pan. Save the bacon fat in the pan, just leave the whole bacon fat mess right on the burner....trust me on this..
***

Outside frying the bacon and suddenly I have an audience!
***

Take a pound or so of chicken breasts and cut it into cubes, let it vacation in a nice bowl of milk or buttermilk ..for about 15 minz then remove the chicken by handful's and place it into the gallon baggie of crumb mixture, give it a good shaking. Really good shaking~
My crumb mix was made from 1.5 cups of Panko, 1/4 cup flour, salt, pepper, and a garlic seasoning mix, all to taste.
***

Now this is why I told you to save you bacon fat mess of a pan~
 Re heat the bacon fat in the pan..Place the chicken a single layer at a time into the bacon fat. Make sure you have preheated it so the chicken chunks don't stick.. fry all chicken until it's all cooked up and crispy. Make sure to set on a  paper towel lined platter to drain some of the fat..
If you have never fried your chicken in Bacon fat.. just try it one time, it helps the chicken stay moist and adds to the overall flavor..
***

View from my grill island.. see why I like to cook outside??
Can't wait til it stops raining so I can get my patio put together!
***

Take a large scoop of mashed potatoes and well them into the bottom of a bowl, I used a larger than normal soup bowl. Since these are individual servings make sure the bowl is a nice size.
***

Add the  biscuits, I used 2 1/2 biscuits and layered them in halves over the mashed potatoes then ladled a generous serving of gravy over it.
***

Next add the corn. I used corn sliced off the cob, I cooked the cobs first.. sliced it off the cob and buttered it up. It tastes sooo good~ try it..
***

Layer the crispy chicken chunks , as many or as little as you like. You'll probably sneak chunks as you cook and prepare, so maybe consider making extra.. hahaha.
***

Add a little more gravy, and a couple of garnishes, I used the bacon and cheddar cheese. 
TADA! Here is your completed Chicken Bucket!
Serve with a big cold glass of iced tea, or sparkling lemonade
Sit down and enjoy .. maybe take a nap afterwards.. Let someone else clean the mess~

I hope I managed to get all the info right!  If you have any questions or I have cornfused you , just post your questions and I will  see what I can do to un-cornfuse you~
LUVZ!!





No comments:

Post a Comment