WELCOME~

Growing up in a small town, we didn't have housing developments. What we had were streets lined mostly with trees and homes built by individuals. I remember when a small housing development began across town and I couldn't help but think how weird it was that a bunch of mostly identical homes were being built so close to each other... it was stark,ugly, and made me uncomfortable. I remember thinking I'd never live in a housing development..I'd always be in my own unique space. I was very young and I was very wrong. I didn't end up in a sunny cottage on the edge of town or a small farm out in the boonies.. I have landed in a house that's just like every 4th or 5th house in a housing development in small town suburbia. I realized that regardless of where you are..or what cookie cutter home one lives in, there are a buh-zillion and one ways to make it your own. From my own little suburban *cottage* you will find me posting anything from cooking to sewing to flower watching.. people watching, short stories, poetry, rants, raves and anything else you can imagine~ Please stay awhile, explore all little parts of my life. You may find your self, laughing, rolling your eyes, disgusted, inspired, aggravated, happy, ect ect ect..
Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing in my joy~

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Berry Delicious!

This is a recipe for a pie that is diabetic friendly, but don't let that word spook you because this pie is chock full of berry goodness, and packed with flavor and extremely refreshing!! I came across this in a magazine and have loved on this recipe ever since!  The only change I made to this recipe is that I used graham cracker crust as opposed to zwieback. If you don't make this Creamy Deliciousness you need to be spanked... and it needs to be filmed... and then placed on YouTube ...

Berry Pie with Creamy Filling 


1-16 ounce container of plain fat free or low fat yogurt       
2 tablespoons powder sugar
½  teaspoons vanilla
¾ C low-calorie cran-raspberry drink
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 recipe Zwiback Crust (below)
6 cups fresh raspberries,blackberries,blueberries and/or stawberries  halved

1.       For your yogurt cheese: Set a sieve over a large bowl: line with 3 layers of cheese cloth (100% cotton) spoon in yogurt. Cover with plastic wrap and chill 24 hours. Discard the liquid from the yogurt cheese. Combine yogurt cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla... cover and chill until ready to use.

2.       For glaze: in a sauce pan, stir together fruit drink and cornstarch. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly: cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Transfer to a bowl. Cover surface with plastic wrap and let stand at room tempature 1-2 hours or until cool.

.Zwieback Crust Recipe
Preheat oven to 350f. Coat a 9 inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray. In a bowl, combine 1 1/3cups finely crushed zwieback and 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar. Add 1 slightly beaten egg white and 2 tablespoons melted butter; stir until mixed. Press evenly into bottom and up side of pan. Bake 10 – 12 minz or until edge is brown. Cool on wire rack.


Spread your cheese mixture into your zwieback crust. In a bowl, toss berries and cooled glaze. Spoon onto cheese mixture. Cover; chill for 3-6 hours.

160 cal per serving ( 10 slices per pan) 4 g total fat (2 grams sat), 10 mg cholesterol, 87 mg sodium,27g carb., 3 gram fiber 5 g pro. Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 carb., 0.5 fat. Carb choices 2.

 I hope you love this as much as i do.. if you try it, be sure to let me know !! Pleeeeze!

Now.. here in Callyforny TRHOC is fittin'ta come on the blob tube in just a lil bit.. and since last weeks was a repeat. *grrrrr*  I can hardly wait to see it! Complete with In & Out Burger for dinnahhh~... .No doubt I will rant afterwards!.... 
Luvz AGAIN!!


No comments:

Post a Comment