WELCOME~

Growing up in a small town, we didn't have housing developments. What we had were streets lined mostly with trees and homes built by individuals. I remember when a small housing development began across town and I couldn't help but think how weird it was that a bunch of mostly identical homes were being built so close to each other... it was stark,ugly, and made me uncomfortable. I remember thinking I'd never live in a housing development..I'd always be in my own unique space. I was very young and I was very wrong. I didn't end up in a sunny cottage on the edge of town or a small farm out in the boonies.. I have landed in a house that's just like every 4th or 5th house in a housing development in small town suburbia. I realized that regardless of where you are..or what cookie cutter home one lives in, there are a buh-zillion and one ways to make it your own. From my own little suburban *cottage* you will find me posting anything from cooking to sewing to flower watching.. people watching, short stories, poetry, rants, raves and anything else you can imagine~ Please stay awhile, explore all little parts of my life. You may find your self, laughing, rolling your eyes, disgusted, inspired, aggravated, happy, ect ect ect..
Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing in my joy~

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Hamburger Soup~



Hamburger Soup
~

First off I know Hamburger Soup sounds a little funny. But this is a basic recipe my husbands grandma used to make. It's simple, and I like simple things. My husband loves it, so do my kids, and even my grown kids make it for their families. 


You will need the following:
2 lbs Ground Beef
Medium white or yellow onion, diced
1 tbsp olive oil
approx 8-12 potatoes, I used russet cut into quarters lengthwise
2-2 stalks of celery, chopped
3 carrots sliced into thick coins
4-5 cloves of fresh garlic, chopped
 1 tbsp or to taste Herbes de Provence
Salt and pepper to taste
Parsley Flakes
any other herbs and seasoning you like
Couple squirts of Worcestershire sauce
Beef Bouillon Cubes or Beef Broth or Beef Stock, enough for 10 cups.
Frying pan, 
Soup Pot



Take your frying pan and add the olive oil, let it heat then add the onion, let the onion just begin to cook then add ur ground beef, crumbling it or chopping it as it browns. Once its cooked all thru, drain nicely and set aside.
I like to cook my veges separate, the potato's always cook faster than the carrots and celery. Also keep in mind  you may want to add different veges so please keep in mind each vege may cook for different amounts of time. So I cook my potatoes until they are barely fork tender, do not over cook them because you want them to stay intact, if a few fall apart, no problem.. makes the soup heartier.
I cut my carrots and celery into consistent, thick coin slices and cook those together.

After I have cooked my veges, I drain them and set them in a large bowl.

Now take your Soup Pot and add your water, and beef bullion, (or stock if that's what you are using, then bypass the water) herbes de Provence, garlic, salt and pepper, Worcestershire sauce and whatever herbs and seasoning you like, allow the water to heat thoroughly and the bouillon to dissolve, bring to boil and cook long enough to soften the chopped garlic.. then turn down to just keep it hot..

 Add your ground beef, and veges. Adjust the liquid level if needed by adding more beef stock or water and bouillon. 

At this point you may add a tablespoon of butter, then sprinkle ur parsley flakes in. 
Its important to remember: DO NOT LET THE GROUND BEEF BOIL. It will suck the flavor right out of your soup as will with any meat you add to a soup and then boil..Sooooo no boiling after the meat has been added. Trust me.

Let set for ahwile without simmering or boiling, just keeping it hot, to let the flavors meld.
This is also better if made the night before or as leftovers.

Now.. here are a couple of variations I have tried. 
Try adding a can of tomato paste in with the bouillon, this makes it rich and even more brothy. 
I have also added lima beans, peas, mushrooms, dash of tapatio, and anything else that grabbed my attention and suited my fancy. I added a handful of chopped cherry tomatoes this time, they cooked down pretty.

You can make your broth pretty and caramely by adding Kitchen Bouquet. 
You can basically do anything you like to this recipe. 

About Herbes de Provence.
If you don't have this in your spice cabinet... all I can say is WHAAAAAAAT?!?!??
Stop NOW and go to whatever grocery store you shop at and BUY IT!.
It's a lovely mix of Basil, Fennel, Marjoram, Parsley, Rosemary, Lavender, Tarragon and Thyme!
Once you have tried this little jar of love, you will have a lifelong affair with it, you will find yourself adding it to almost everything, you will problably find yourself walking by your spice cabinet and just visiting the little jar..


I typically serve this with crusty french bread or dinner rolls and a salad.. one of my fave things to do is make garlic butter..
 here's the recipe for that..

Garlic Butter

1Cup butter, softened, not melted
1/4 cup parm cheese
1/2 tbsp-1tbsp granulated garlic
1 tbsp minced fresh garlic
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 Tsp herbes de provence or italian seasoning
a dash or 2 of ground paprika

In a small bowl combine minced garlic, Parmesan cheese, butter
mix thoroughly
then season with remaining ingredients, mixing until smooth. 
YUUM!

 enjoy!!

 Next week I will be posting a tutorial on hand made rag flowers.. sooooo cute~
Please come back!

p.s. sorry for the typos.. contact me for questions or clarity.. hahahaa.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment