WELCOME~

Growing up in a small town, we didn't have housing developments. What we had were streets lined mostly with trees and homes built by individuals. I remember when a small housing development began across town and I couldn't help but think how weird it was that a bunch of mostly identical homes were being built so close to each other... it was stark,ugly, and made me uncomfortable. I remember thinking I'd never live in a housing development..I'd always be in my own unique space. I was very young and I was very wrong. I didn't end up in a sunny cottage on the edge of town or a small farm out in the boonies.. I have landed in a house that's just like every 4th or 5th house in a housing development in small town suburbia. I realized that regardless of where you are..or what cookie cutter home one lives in, there are a buh-zillion and one ways to make it your own. From my own little suburban *cottage* you will find me posting anything from cooking to sewing to flower watching.. people watching, short stories, poetry, rants, raves and anything else you can imagine~ Please stay awhile, explore all little parts of my life. You may find your self, laughing, rolling your eyes, disgusted, inspired, aggravated, happy, ect ect ect..
Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing in my joy~

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Lemon filled White Cake with Strawberry-Kiwi Salsa



I love simple cakes, not to sweet, not too heavy, simple light cakes with a lovely fruit~
 Here is my lovely Lemon filled White Cake with Strawberry-Kiwi Salsa.
 Again, because the foods I make are simple.. you can change up the fruit to make whatever kind of fruit salsa you want.As a matter of fact, I am going to make a variation of this for Mothers Day with a Lemon filled Lemon Cake with raspberry-strawberry salsa. 

 To start with you will need a 2 baked layers of white cake, cooled and the humps sliced off.. you want this cake to be nice and flat..
 You will need your lemon filling, cooled. See recipe below.
 Fruit salsa
and heavy whipping cream, sweetened to taste and whipped til its stands up and pays attention!


Start by dicing your fruit
I used probably 8 or 10 nice, ripe Strawberries 
and 2 Kiwis





 Now you have Fruit Salsa
At this stage, mix it together in a small bowl with a touch of splenda blend sugar and let it rest. After about 15 mins, I drain the most, but not all of the juice so my cake doesn't get soggy.
~
Next you take your first layer

You can see where I have  sliced the top off leaving  a nice flat surface. if you wanted you can actually slice a very shallow well for the filling and salsa to fit into a little better if you like more fruit in yours. otherwise if you stack too much fruit and filling your top layer may decide to travel.
~


This now has a spread of the lemon filling, you can kind of see the yellow peel sprinkled in.
~

Now you can see the Salsa layered on the top. I also added a thin layer of whipped cream before layering the fruit salsa, but I forgot to take a picture.. oops.. It doesn't matter when you add the layer of whipped topping so long as you add it after the lemon filling.
~
Place your second layer on the fist layer bottom up.
~



Spread a thin layer of lemon filling on the top of this layer, then frost the cake with your whipped topping and garnish as you like.
 Place the cake in your refridge to vacation for an hour or 2 letting everything chill nicely, serve with additional whipped topping and lemon filling if desired. Or whatever else you want~

Enjoy~

 Happy Mothers Day~






Lemon Filling

3/4 Cup Sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup water
1 Tablespoon margarine or Butter
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/4 c freshly squeezed lemon juice


Mix together sugar, cornstarch and salt in a med saucepan. Slowly stir in water. Cook over medium heat , stirring constantly, until mixture thickens up and boils. Boil for 1 minute then remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice.
cover and chill in your fridge for a couple of hours.

~~~~

 and few tips about the whipping cream.
Chill the bowl you plan on whipping your cream in. Also if you want to flavor your whipping cream I sometimes use kool aid mix straight from the packet... you will want to add your sweetner to your whipping cream first, add a little of the kool aid powder to taste and maybe go back and forth taste testing to get it where you want it... then whip it like there is no tomorrow~
. Its an easy way to add flavor to your whipped cream.. 





No comments:

Post a Comment